Monday, June 25, 2007

Can Blogs Break Up No-Hitters?

No-hitters are a weird thing. As a baseball fan I know there are certain unwritten rules that surround the hallowed no-no. When a pitcher is working toward a no-hitter his teammates know to stay away. Get through 5 innings of perfection and you suddenly become a dugout pariah.

Yesterday Dustin McGowan had a no-hitter going in the 8th inning when The Mighty MJD, weekend editor at Deadspin posted the update of said no-hitter. A short while later (with one out in the 9th) it was broken up. Here’s how MJD started the post:


I don't know if it's possible to jinx these things with blog posts, but I'm going to go ahead and risk it: Blue Jays pitcher Dustin McGowan has a no-hitter going through 8 innings. Just one walk allowed, too.

Pretty damn ominous right? If that’s not a plea for a bloop single, I don’t know what is.


Just a month ago Awful Officiating put up a story about how ESPN had jinxed two no-hitters in one day by either cutting to the game or saying the words, “perfect game.” Hubris in the sporting world.


Well, Deadspin is a pretty big sporting entity. I’m going to make a ruling here this morning because Bill Simmons is busy planning his next trip to Vegas. Blogs have to stay away from no-hitters because like a black cat or a Sports Illustrated cover shoot, it is a jinx. (Wait. Black cats are bad luck. Is that the same as a jinx? I’m confused.)


Anyway, we need to put a stop to this because if it happens to a Marlin, there’s going to be trouble. I think sports (or any other type) bloggers need to stay away from “breaking” no-hitter-news until after the game. We’re still dealing in a fairly young and developing alcove (Good word – here’s a shiny nickel!) of the sports reporting world and Deadspin is at the forefront.


Also, if you’re live blogging the game try to use the same resolve that an announcer would – not that we’re set on those rules either. Baseball is an extremely superstitious sport and the bloggers must follow suite. If you’re going to live-blog a game, be ready to put your hat on inside out and do whatever else baseball players do for good luck. (Chew sunflower seeds, rub Don Zimmer’s belly, sexually harass Harold Reynolds…whatever)


Just be careful out there bloggers, you don’t want to be the reason mom and dad are fighting.


Bleditor's (Like an Editor, but for a Blog - get it?) Note: As Parkes, from Drunk Jays Fans pointed out there was only none outs in the ninth when Baker broke up the no-hitter Sunday. It was also pointed out to me that Deadspin referred to the site as Cousings of Ron Mexico. We'll deal with that later.

7 comments:

Windier E. Megatons said...

Alternately, of course, throwing a no-hitter is really, really hard, and many guys lose them in later innings whether people say anything about it during the game or not. I'm as superstitious as the next guy, and if I were an announcer I would follow the tradition - but let's not pretend it's the same thing as going up to the guy in the dugout and talking to him. He can't hear the announcers. It's just a convenient excuse after the fact because we all wanted to see a no-hitter. But all told, there are two a season on average - we've already had our two for 2007 anyway.

Parkes said...

There were actually none out in the ninth when Baker's hit got through.

Good story, though.

We have a similar post on our blog today with less analysis and more anger:

http://www.drunkjaysfans.blogspot.com/what-fuck-deadspin.html

stopmikelupica said...

I ruined Phil Hughes no-hitter bid earlier this season with a blog post. I'm the reason why he pulled his hamstring, I guess.

Anonymous said...

I guess if you write about Deadspin they will likely link your article. Thought you were COUSINS of Ron Mexico, not COUSINGS. Oh well their mistake, not yours. Your mistake was their was no one out when their was actually ONE out. Get your facts straight man and reply to my damn comments.

Anonymous said...

Wasn't it that douche bag Mark Grace that decided, when he was in the booth commentating at the stadium, to yell to Pedro, "Pedro!!! You got a no-hitter going!"


What a douche. I don't care that he came up with the "slumpbuster" method, he is still a DB

Stephen Douglas said...

Actually, I hadn't even noticed that Deadspin messed up the blog name. I would have to compare it to the prettiest girl in school asking for a sheet of paper but calling you Ben. Unless your name was Ben, then it'd be pretty cool.

And yeah, I saw I messed up the out(s). I should probably make some sort of editorial note about that.

Jordan said...

I'm a huge Detroit Tigers fan. A few weeks ago a friend of mine tried to break up Justin Verlander's no hitter by emailing me about it in the 8th inning. FYI, my friend is a very knowledgeable fan. He knew exactly what he was doing.

Here's the exchange.

From: Ric <***********>
Date: Jun 12, 2007 9:12 PM
Subject: Re: Verlander no-hitter in 8th
To: "Jordan" <*************>

Now, I got that email, and I wasn't pleased. You just don't DO that.

My reply:

From: Jordan <***********>
Date: Jun 12, 2007 9:12 PM
Subject: Re: Verlander no-hitter in 8th
To: "Ric" <*************>

F*CK YOU. YOU SHOULD KNOW BETTER.

I don't like how harsh I had to be with him, but considering the circumstances, I don't think I could have done anything else.